We present details of the new Xone series mixer, the Xone DB4, by the English company Allen & Heath, announced by its creators as the most advanced product created by the company. This is a analog mixer up to 5 channels, midi controller and soundcard included, advanced effects module and a loop recorder.
The heart of the Xone DB4 is the powerful Quad FX Core DSP engine, enabling each channel to have its own FX bank and BPM detection system, which automatically adjusts all time-related FX and loops to the tempo of the music. There are 5 studio quality FX types optimised for DJ use – delays, reverbs, modulators, resonators and damage -, plus each FX type has a patch library of different effect variations.
Each music channel can select any of the available stereo music sources: Analogue Line 1-4 (switchable to Phono on 2-3), Digital 1-4 or USB 1-4. Also each music channel has a 3-band EQ that can be configured as standard asymmetric EQ (+6/-25dB), Isolator (+6dB/OFF with a 24dB/octave slope), or reconfigured as a High-Pass/Low-Pass filter system with adjustable resonance. EQ knob pointers change colour to show which type of equalization is active.
Let’s see what this is
Some of its features are:
- Quad FX Core DSP, providing separate effects bank, BPM detection and tempo adjustment on each channel.
- Five FX types – delays, reverbs, modulators, resonators and damage – plus variations, expression, wet/dry.
- One looper per channel, loop length from 1/16 beat to 4 bars.
- Xone dual filter system.
- Sources: analog Line 1-4 (switchable to Phono on 2 – 3), Digital 1-4, or USB 1-4.
- 3-band EQ, configurable as standard asymmetric EQ (+6/-25dB), Isolator (+6dB/OFF with a 24dB/octave slope), or reconfigured as a High-Pass/Low-Pass filter system with adjustable resonance.
- Mic/Line input with 2-band EQ, gain, cue, and mix level, routable to channel 1 for adding FX.
- Sound card: 24-bit / 96kHz, multi-channel, fully patchable USB2 soundcard ,4 stereo sends and 4 stereo inputs.
- USB patch storage: Meter mode, BPM range, USB audio routing scheme and display brightness can be saved to a USB key for recall on another B4.
- MIDI control without changing mixer settings.
- Output: Booth, record and phones – source selectable and level trim. Booth and main – phase and level trim controls.
- OLED display, visible even in bright sunlight.
- Lightweight aluminium chassis.